Mũmbi Kaigwa to be honoured at CIFCET 2016
Click here http://www.cifcet.gov.eg/ for the CIFCET Website.
The Cairo International Festival for Contemporary and Experimental Theatre (CIFCET) was founded in 1988 as Cairo International Festival for Experimental Theatre. After it concluded its twenty-second edition in 2010 it was suspended/adjourned in 2011 until 2015.
The festival is back! From 20th to 30th September, 2016.
This year a large number of Arab and international theatre companies are participating, in addition to a long list of Egyptian productions. The festival includes six workshops led by major international artists from Chile, USA, Pakistan and India.
There will also be four major panels focusing on Arab theatre and the West scheduled on the Fringe.
On Tuesday 21 September, the Festival will honour six major international theatre artists:
1. Gameel Rateb: Prominent actor and director. He studied theatre in France, and has appeared in over forty stage productions in both France and Egypt, as well as tens of films and television series.
2. Mũmbi Kaigwa: Actor, Playwright, Producer and Artistic Director at The Arts Canvas, where she creates campaigns that use art at address social themes such as violence, torture, human rights, peace and conflict.
3. Lu Ang: Professor and Dean of Department of Directing at Shanghai Theatre Academy, and Vice Chairman of Shanghai Theatre Association. Mr Lu Ang has directed over 70 theatre productions at home in China and abroad.
4. His Excellency Muhammad Sayf al-Afkham: President of International Theatre Institute. Director General of al-Fujairah Municipality. He is the president of the International Monodrama Forum and Director of The Fujairah Culture and Media Authority.
5. Torange Yehiazerian: Founding Artistic Director of Golden Thread Productions, the first American theatre company devoted to the Middle East, where she launched ReOrientFestival and Forum, Middle East America, Islam 101, New Threads and the Fairytale Players.
6. Femi Osofican: Prominent dramatist and professor: He obtained his PhD at the University of Ibadan, Nigeria, and is currently a Distinguished Professor of Theatre Arts at Kwara State University.