The V-Day Campaign 2019: The Vagina Monologues
Since 2003, we’ve been putting together a production of Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues to raise funds for organisations working to end violence against women and girls.
Since 2017, we’ve been supporting ComeTogether Widows and Orphans Organization.
Meet our beneficiaries:
These are some of the ways CTWOO use the money we raise through this work.
1. Table banking (Merry-Go-Round/Chama) with 150,000/- which is still available in 2020. This 150,000/- gives a profit of 15,000/- per month which is equal to 180,000/- per year, which gets donated back to the organisation.
The table banking has encouraged many widows and survivors of violence and other women groups and they have decided to replicate the same in their groups.
2. Rescued a 15 year old girl who was raped and impregnated by the rapist. The girl gave birth through Caesarian Section and later we took her back to school and also helped her to go to court and in November 2017 the man was jailed.
3. We had rescued (name withheld) in 2015 and she made us proud in 2017 K.C.P.E with a score of 340 marks and we managed to take her to St Charles Lwanga Secondary School where she is currently going on with her secondary school. She is a survivor of rape and an orphan.
4. (Name withheld) was our student who survived domestic violence when her breast nipple was bitten off by her mother when she was beating her. She was sponsored by our friends YES FOUNDATION who were paying for her tuition fees and CTWOO were taking care of her personal effects. She passed her Form Four exams with a strong C+ and is soon joining Moi University.
5. We managed to train women on the importance of vying for leadership positions and we had 11 women who made it up to nominations level in the 2017 General Election. Though they didn’t get elected, we are glad they broke the barrier where many believe politics is a male dominated world. Good luck to them in the 2022 Elections.
6. Our bead work projects have increased and we are really in need of market to sell our items.
7. We have been able to rent a small office since February 2018 which will make our work easier.
8. Our work has been recognized by the Government and for this reason Dianah was nominated to attend Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) 62 IN NEW YORK and speak about the plight of widows, survivors of Gender Based Violence and Orphans and how she is bringing change in Kenya.
If you’d like to reach out to Dianah and her team directly, please do. They always need help.
Dianah Wanjiku Kamande
Come Together Widows & Orphans Organization(CTWOO)
P.O BOX | 34664 – 00100 | Nairobi
“Turning Widows, Survivors of Gender Based Violence and Orphans wounds into gifts ”
We were honoured to perform The Vagina Monologues for the women at the Machakos Women’s Prison.
And as well as the performances, we had a Vagina Workshop and made some paintings: